A new year is upon us. Most people make resolutions for weight loss, getting out of debt or making you a better you. Here is an idea? How about we make a resolution to combat one of the most pervasive yet ignored human disasters happening right now in a city near you? Human trafficking affects hundreds thousands of victims every year. And we can do something about it!
Here is what you can do.
- Understand it is happening in YOUR town.
Just because you don’t know anyone affected by it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Take 10 minutes and Google it. It’s happening everywhere! Here are a couple of websites to check out:
- Understand root causes.
Most (if not all) of the victims have suffered sexual abuse. Imagine what kind of home life they must have had that prostitution/sex trade is preferable to what they left behind. Instead of continuing to have interminable board meetings about the use of drums or whether cheese is allowed at potluck, let’s work together to combat the root causes in our community.
- Do something.
Just because you can’t do everything doesn’t mean you can’t do something. Here are 5 practical things you can do THIS year:
- Visit. In your town there are organizations working with Human Trafficking victims. Set up a meeting. A quick perusal of the internet will tell you where to go.
- Fund it. Last November we had an evangelism conference. We sold the CD’s and raised $3,500 for Selah Freedom. It was quick, easy and significant to them. They are looking to buy a van for victims, our gift would be used to enhance their operations.
- March. Organize a march, or join one.
- Invite. Ask them to make a presentation in your church. It’s amazing what happens when people see the level of destruction that is going on under their noses.
- Fix. Volunteer at a local shelter to fix, paint, and mentor. They welcome volunteers.
Let me know what you are doing, would love to share with others.