Genesis 41:37: “Joseph’s suggestions were well received by Pharaoh and his officials. So Pharaoh asked his officials, ‘Can we find anyone else like this man so obviously filled with the spirit of God?’ Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, ‘Since God has revealed the meaning of the dreams to you, clearly no one else is as intelligent or wise as you are. You will be in charge of my court, and all my people will take orders from you. Only I, sitting on my throne, will have a rank higher than yours.’ ”
1. How did a pagan king receive the suggestions from a former convict? Genesis 41:37
2. What was it that convinced Pharaoh that he should listen to Joseph? Genesis 41:38. In what way can you see the Spirit of God in Joseph’s life?
3. Pharaoh called Joseph two things: wise and intelligent. What is the difference between these two words?
4. Joseph, an immigrant, without many friends or any help from his family, became the second most powerful in the kingdom. What message do you think God wants to give us through that story?
5. Study with me for a moment the word favor. The biblical meaning of the word is that God looks on one of His children in a special and meaningful way. How can you attract the favor of God into your life? 2 Chronicles 16:9; Proverbs 11:27; Proverbs 12:2
Take these ideas and make them work for your life:
1. Your testimony gives you authority. Joseph spoke with authority because the Spirit of God was with him and in him. The gospel is demonstrated by our actions, not our words. How can you as a Christian improve your testimony?
2. More than “friends in high places,” you need the Lord. Joseph was not well connected, and his promotion came directly from God, who ordained a masterfully orchestrated plan to bless him and get him out of prison. What is the danger in self-promotion instead of seeking the promotion of God?
3. The key to God’s favor is to walk with Him. As you walk closer to Jesus, you can clearly perceive His plan. Strive to please God, and you will have His favor. Even though salvation is by grace, why is it important to walk in obedience to experience God’s favor?
This week, seek to be obedient, and do not indulge in self-promotion. Let God promote you.